VERANSTALTUNGEN DES WEITERBILDUNGSPROGRAMMS
Im Rahmen der im Herbst 2014 neu geschaffenen Wissenstransferzentren in Österreich bieten die Wiener Universitäten und Fachhochschulen ein interuniversitäres Weiterbildungsprogramm mit freiem Zugang an. Das Weiterbildungsprogramm 2019/2020 des WTZ Ost widmet sich neuen Formen der Erarbeitung, Vermittlung und Verwertung von Wissen.
- Diese Veranstaltung hat bereits stattgefunden.
Responsibility in Action (ReflACT)
15. November 2018 | 9:00 - 17:00
In many ways, science & technology have the potential to change the worlds we live in. Researchers are increasingly encouraged to reflect on societal benefits and concerns related to their research fields, amongst others by the principle “Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI)” that is increasingly adopted by universities and funding institutions. In this workshop, PhD students learn to identify and reflect relevant societal issues and concerns related to their research fields. Further, they will develop ways of acting upon these reflections in carrying out their PhD projects.
This workshop includes interdisciplinary debates with colleagues, a coaching on compiling a reflection dossier & writing a reflection essay and an incubation of ideas on what it means to act responsibly in concrete research practices. These reflective skills and practices are valued in many areas of contemporary labour markets (science communication, research PR, consulting, etc.), but also support a more nuanced communication of one’s own scientific research to different audiences.
Dates & Structure of the project workshop
Day 1 – 15th of November, 9:00-17:00, seminar room 2, DoktorandInnenzentrum, Berggasse 7, 2nd floor
- Introduction of the concept “Responsible Research and Innovation”
- Card-based discussion on responsible practice in research and innovation
- Reflection on individual PhD-topics (identification of 3 issues for reflection, chalk talk)
- Introduction on compiling a reflection dossier (including coverage of public debates/controversies on societal concerns and implications & a mapping of relevant actors & issues)
Day 2 – 10th of December, 9:00-17:00, seminar room 2, DoktorandInnenzentrum, Berggasse 7, 2nd floor
- Review of reflection dossiers & introduction on writing a reflection essay
- Composing & writing of short reflection essays related to PhD-projects
- Incubation of ideas on acting upon societal issues and concerns (in interdisciplinary groups)
- Presentation of ideas and collective brainstorming
Participantion & Application:
Open for application to PhD students of all disciplines until the 1st of November, 2018
To apply, please send a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating your interest in the workshop, your institutional affiliation, and your PhD topic. Please also indicate whether you can bring a laptop for web-based research during the workshop.
Up to 9 participants will then be selected with the aim to achieve a good interdisciplinary balance. You will receive a notification regarding your participation until Sept. 27.
Working language: English